Friday, March 6, 2009

KWL...I love it!

Yesterday in my Personal Finance class I started a lecture on investing and the stock market. Before I began though, I had the students do a KWL activity. I had them write down what they already know about the stock market, as well as what they want to know about the stock market. I collected these worksheets at the end of class, and will return the worksheets at the end of the stock market unit so that the students will tell me what they learned. It was a very useful tool because I could see that the students really don't know much at all about the stock market. I also found that the majority of them want to learn the same types of things. This will focus my lectures and activities. This was the first time that I used the KWL activity and I am very glad that I did. Because the amount of information I could teach the students about investing and the stock market is so vast, it really helped me to narrow my teaching of the subject. Anybody else used the KWL before, and how so???

1 comment:

  1. I did with middle schoolers when we were learning about pirating. It went okay, but was mostly effective only for an opener to get them thinking. They weren't able to do any critical thought about what they want to learn nor were they able to identify the important things that they learned. I will be trying it again, however, because I, too, think it is an effective tool.

    ReplyDelete